Onion River Sports Gives to Over 60 Local Non-Profits and Community Organizations in 2012-13
By choosing to shop at Onion River Sports, you helped us to support these amazing local non-profits and community organizations! These are your local shopping dollars at work – thank you for thinking globally and acting locally! (this is a partial list, in no particular order)
The Vermont Land Trust
The Kellogg-Hubbard Library
Lost Nation Theater
Vermont Works for Women – Dirt Divas programs
North Branch Nature Center
Cross Vermont Trail Association
Millstone Trails Association
Vermont Mountain Bike Association
Stowe Mountain Bike Club
The Green Mountain Club
Ski for Heat/CVCAC
Mountain Moxie/The Stride Foundation
Onion River Nordic Ski Club
The Barre Opera House
Capital City Soccer
Catamount Trail Association
Central VT Humane Society
Conservation Law Foundation
Just Basics/The Montpelier Food Pantry
Mad River Path Association
Montpelier Area Mountain Bike Association
March of Dimes
Norris Cotton Cancer Center
Stowe Bike Club
Vermont Bike Ped Coalition
Vermont Natural Resources Council
Vermont River Conservancy
Way to Go! Vermont
Wheels Around Waterbury
Woodridge Nursing Home
Vermont Women’s Fund
Montpelier Rotary Club
If your organization or group would like to request support from Onion River Sports, The Shoe Horn Boutique or Onion River Kids, please follow the guidelines below and email your request to carrie (at) onionriver.com at least 2 weeks before your event to give us ample time to respond.
Onion River Community Gift Guidelines
Recognizing the many non-profit organizations that contribute numerous services to our communities in Vermont, the following guidelines should assist a non-profit in making a donation request for gifts. Generally, Onion River Sports will:
- Donate to charitable or non-profit organizations only, not individuals.
- Contribute to Vermont-based nonprofit organizations that serve needs and benefit the people living within ORS’s service area.
- Consider the severity of need, the level of funding available from other sources and the likelihood that the donation will help to bring about desired outcomes.
Generally, company policy, budget limitations and/or federal law prevent Onion River from providing support to:
- Multi year capital facility or endowment campaigns.
- National charities or their local affiliates.
- Special interest groups such as political, labor, religious, fraternal, veterans or lobbying organizations.
- Individuals, including scholarships or travel-related expenses.
- Organizations or projects focused outside Vermont or the United States.
Generally, organizations and activities meeting the established criteria will fall into the following categories:
- Healthcare, housing and Human Services programs
- Educational Programs
- Performing Arts and Cultural Activities
- Environmental and Preservation Programs
Onion River Sports will accept written requests only. When possible, organizations should include in the request:
- Amount of request and how fund will be used
- Statement of purpose of the organization
- Number and location of people served by the organization
- List of Board of Directors
- IRS 501(c)(3) non-profit qualification letter – if available.